Every household needs regular electrical checks. This is normal and must be done on a reasonably regular basis to avoid future issues. As electrical appliances are hazardous and can lead to serious consequences such as electric shocks and fire one must be very careful while dealing with home electrical systems.
Some electrical problems can be handled at home by homeowners themselves but with all the correct safety measures in place. One can always try their hands at new things but must be aware of the potential consequences and therefore be cautious.
If you are in doubt, always call an electrician from a reputable and certified company. There are several companies specialising in Electrical rewiring in Edinburgh that can help you with electrical tasks at your home, minimizing the hazards and ensuring maximum safety. Below we have listed some helpful tips on how to save yourself from electric shocks and ensure safety while working at home.
1. Switch off the switches before starting your work
The primary task one must do before initiating electrical work is to switch off all the switches associated with the appliance you are dealing with. One can choose to switch off the master switch before beginning their work to ensure extra safety while dealing with electrical appliances.
This neutralizes the electrical appliance and restricts the flow of electricity resulting in no chance of electric shock. However, one inevitably has to switch on the appliances to check if the work is done properly. One must be very careful while doing that.
2. Wear leather shoes
The human body is a good conductor of electricity and is therefore vulnerable to electric shocks. One way to eliminate the risk of electric shock is by wearing leather footwear. One can also prefer standing on a wooden floor while performing the task.
Leather shoes or wooden platforms convert the accumulation of static electricity from the body resulting in partial resistance from electrical hazards. This advice works partially in eliminating the hazard. However, one can experience low-intensity shocks even when they wear leather footwear.
3. Never touch electrical equipment with wet hands
This is probably one of the most fundamentally important safety steps you must follow to ensure optimum safety when dealing with home electrical systems. Touching electrical equipment, copper wires extending from electrical tubes, working electrical appliances or anything with an active flow of electricity must not be touched with wet hands.
Water is a good conductor of electricity. When it comes in contact with electrical appliances, electricity is generated at a medium flow and this then results in high-intensity electric shock. You must ensure that your hands and arms are thoroughly dry before touching anything related to electricity.
4. Use your electrical cords with care
Electrical cords are sensitive and are vulnerable to cuts. Make sure the electrical cords are not wound up and stuck behind heavy furniture. This can lead to timely wear and tear of cords resulting in cuts and unnecessary damage.
The cuts in the cords can lead to direct contact with the copper wires which have active electricity flowing through them. This can also be harmful especially to any children you have living in or visiting your home. It is therefore essential to keep all cords and wires correctly and safely stored.
5. Be careful with already broken appliances
If you home has any appliances that are old and have been subjected to repairs before it is worth noting that they are highly vulnerable to short circuits and fuses. You must be careful while dismantling older appliances. It is also advisable to replace very old electrical appliances as it is possible that they could become a serious hazard to the electrical safety of the house. You must also take care not to leave the cords plugged in all the time as well.