Remember the Rolodex? How about the fax machine? These are just two examples of technologies that have been replaced by the modern PC or Mac desktop computer since the magical ’80s. Whether you call it the evolution of the desk or, more to the point, the evolution of work, much has changed how the American worker gets things done, or not.
“Evolution of the Desk” is an initiative borne out of the Harvard Innovation Lab. The goal is to illustrate the impact that technology has had on our lives over the last 35 years. A cluttered desk, complete with a rolodex, a file cabinet, and a fax machine, transforms into a much cleaner, simpler surface consisting of only a laptop and a mobile phone. Of course, some things in life – like the sun – are everlasting, so the shades persist throughout the years — Best Reviews
All of the vintage items featured in this video are authentic. The Macintosh Classic, corded phone, fax machine, globe, corkboard, Polaroid camera, and rolodex were all purchased through individual sellers on Ebay. The radio was acquired from Goodwill, and the picture frame came from pictureframes.com. The rest of the items were found lying around in basements, storage units, and garage sales. And the sunglasses? Those were easy since we actually still own a pair — Best Reviews
Whether you’ve been riding a desk since 1984 or just the last few years, how has your desk evolved? How has the PC or Mac desktop that you use changed? Are you already post PC or have you been there come back to a more prosaic computing device?
Share your thoughts and comments below…
- Buy an iPad for less than $260: Apple’s take on education
- iPhone SE X leaks: Could this be the new compact phone?
- Apple has finally begun working on its own displays (MicroLED)
- Laxmicoin, the India based cryptocurrency, might be worth looking into
- How to Earn Money Online Straight from Your Smartphone
- MacBooks will feature touch based keyboards in the future
- In-display fingerprint scanner: Is it a thing yet ?
- iPhones will be vacuum sealed for additional waterproofing in the future
- Should you buy the Samsung Galaxy S9?
- Apple will release cheaper, improved MacBook Airs this year