Congratulations! If you’re reading this, it probably means that you’re moving out of your state and ready to start fresh in your new home. Moving long distances can be a stressful endeavour if you’re not organised. You have to think about using the correct tie down straps for your cargo and how to organise your boxes.
To make the process easier for you, we’ve put together five must-do’s when you move out of state. We’ll discuss how to pack your boxes and load items correctly as well as the preparations you need to make before you arrive at your new home.
1. Pack and Load Your Items Correctly
One of the first mistakes people make is packing their boxes incorrectly and loading items without securing them with ratchet tie down straps. Secondly, it’s important not to mix fragile items with heavy appliances because you’ll land up with broken objects.
Not sure how to start? Here’s how you should pack your items:
- One room at a time: Don’t pack up several rooms at the same time. Start in one room and pack up everything before moving onto the next area.
- Bubble wrap glass items: Some people use newspaper to wrap their glass items in, but this doesn’t provide a lot of protection. To prevent glass items from breaking wrap them in a layer of bubble wrap.
- Use moving boxes: Use moving boxes that have sections so you can slot plates and cups into them to prevent them from knocking against each other.
- Label boxes with colour stickers: Some boxes you’ll need to unpack first when you arrive at your new home. Label these boxes with a coloured sticker so you can easily identify it and have access to all your essential items.
- Mark your boxes: Place an arrow on your box to inform movers which side should be up when placed inside the moving truck. This will ensure your items don’t get tipped upside down.
- Wrap appliances and furniture: Prevent your furniture from dents and scratches by wrapping them in sheets of plastic.
- Dry ice for food items: Place frozen food items in polystyrene boxes and put dry ice in them to prevent your food from spoiling.
Loading Your Boxes and Securing Them
If you’re loading your boxes yourself, make sure you have a box trolly or hand truck, so you don’t have to carry heavy items to the moving van. Use tie down straps to secure your heavy appliances such as fridges, freezers, and TVs. You can also use your tie down straps to secure your boxes so they don’t slide around the truck during transportation.
2. Prepare for the Long Road Ahead
During your long trip, you and your family might get hungry and thirsty. Pack lunch boxes for everyone so they can fuel up during the trip. You also want to pack hand sanitiser or wipes so everyone can clean their hands after eating. Don’t leave anything to chance! Being this prepared prevents a lot of frustration!
If you’re travelling with children make sure they have toys and digital devices to keep them entertained. You may want to stop every two to three hours for bathroom breaks so ensure you plan your route so you can stop in safe places.
3. Have Animals? Here’s How to Transport Them
Some companies offer to transport your animals. However, if you prefer to transport your animals yourself, put them in pet carriers. Place blankets inside the carriers to provide comfort for them. If it’s hot, make sure you place the carriers near an open window.
If you have anxious pets, visit your vet beforehand so they can provide calming medication. Find out how often you need to give your pet food and water.
4. Pay for Utilities in Advance
When you arrive at your new home you want to have hot water and electricity. So, make sure you pay your utility bill in advance so you’re not stuck without power that first day. Also set up an internet connection in advance especially if you work from home or have children who do research online for schoolwork.
5. Update Your Address
You’ll need all your mail to be posted to your new address. So, when the move is finalised contact all the companies that send you mail so you can give them your new home address. You’ll also need to go online to change your address for accounts, online streaming services and credit cards.
The most important aspects to remember is packing your boxes correctly and using durable ratchet tie down straps to secure your loads. If you’ve never moved out of your state before, now you can do it like the pros.