SARMs or Selective androgen receptor modulators are a class of compounds that are used clinically in the treatment of diseases and by fitness freaks and bodybuilders for gaining muscle mass, lessening fat and increasing strength.
It is a performance enhancing drug that is used in testosterone replacement therapy, osteoporosis treatment and muscle wasting treatment.
Unlike other steroids SARMs do not have as many side effects, they do not affect any other organs and there is no risk of extra cell growth. This is the reason SARMs are being chosen over anabolic supplements. Anabolic supplements cause side effects and have higher risks but SARMs don’t as they are selective in nature.
SARMs link themselves with androgen receptors in your body and they mimic the way testosterone works in your body. This is done in a way that doesn’t cause harm. It increases overall strength, nitrogen retention and increases protein synthesis in the body.
SARMs v/s Steroids
SARMs have not been clinically approved yet by the FDA and many countries have not allowed usage by humans. But they are available off the label and are being used by many of them. The usage of SARMs is comparatively better than other steroids but the long term effects are unknown as of now. It can cause liver toxicity and increase risk of heart attacks. Yet these side effects are nowhere near to the side effects caused by the anabolic steroids
What are Sarms?
The main difference between steroids and SARMs are :
- Steroids cause change in the whole body and their effect can cause change in the genetic makeup of the people. SARMs on the other hand have no such effects as they focus only on the muscle and bone.
- Steroids cause a host of unwanted effects on the bodies of people who use them. In men, it can cause acne, gynecomastia, enlarged prostate and shrinking of testicles.
- In women it causes increase in clitoral size, body hair growth and acne. SARMs on the other hand cause no such side effects.
- Steroids can also cause an increase in risk of heart attacks, blood clots, liver damage and complications of heart diseases. SARMs decrease the risk of all these side effects, though they may not be completely safe.
The clear difference in the advantages of SARMs has pulled in a lot of people who are into fitness and increased research on SARMs in the medical field.
Types of SARMs
Most Common Types of SARMs
- Mildest, well-known and least expensive SARM
- Taken orally, improves insulin resistance and helps in prediabetic care
- Enhances overall strength, performance, endurance and helps burn body fat
- 10 to 25 mg doses individually
- Newest, studies are still being done
- Most potent and highly effective for muscle building
- 12 mg individual doses
- Should be used with caution due to its high potence
- Highly potent
- Helps burn body fat and helps with mental stress
- Less than 10 mg and should start at 5 mg
- Enhances weight loss and promotes bone and muscle growth
- Is selective, thus there is no harm done to vital organs
- Yet there are reports of vision changes at high doses
- 10 to 25 mg is safe
- Acts on growth hormone receptors and increases growth hormone levels unlike other SARMs
- Appetite and energy is increased
- 10 to 25 mg dosage
- Restricts myostatin(limits muscle growth) and encourages follistatin(promotes muscle growth)
- Builds muscles and strength
- 5 to 10 mg dose
- It is not a SARM, but it has similar effects and is thus grouped with SARMs
- Encourages protein receptors and enhances protein synthesis
- Muscle growth and energy is increases
- 7 to 20 mg dose
After reading this you may have gotten a basic understanding of what SARMs are and what their uses can be. And to add a bit of caution to the air, beware of what you buy and where you buy as there are many fake SARMs being sold. Consult people with knowledge before you consume SARMs and check the dosage for each properly.