Over the years, Australia has made it to the list of countries with the highest gambling participation rates across ages. The Australian Gaming Council reports show that in 2014/15, the average Australian gambler spent A$1,172.14 per year. To date, the figures have significantly increased as the latest figures indicate that in 2018, the Australian gambling market generated revenue of over $9.3 million.
Online Pokies, in particular, have been credited with the gambling industry growth in Australia. Over 21% of all the adult gamblers have placed a stake in online Australian casinos at least once available.
The well-regulated industry partially contributes to the widespread embrace of online gambling in Australia. Formulation of gambling laws and policies and their eventual execution is a duty that has been delegated to the respective states by the federal commonwealth government.
Various state bodies like The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) and the Queensland’s Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (QOLGR) use all available tools to promote legal gambling in Australia. The year 2001 saw a remarkable improvement as the Interactive Gambling Act (IGA) came into effect. This act formed the basis for curbing the perceived negative impacts of online gambling in Australia. The act, among other things, legalized pokie machines in both land-based and online casinos. As a legally authorized enterprise, gambling in Australia has become a darling to many adults as they are assured of safety. The assured security consequently led to the roll-out of the best online pokies for real money by leading gaming studios. With access to the best free pokies, Australia and NZ gamblers have a host of trusted online casino platforms where they can try their luck on numerous jackpot prizes. Equally, no deposit bonus offers are well-regulated to ensure friendly wagering terms across the various real money games apps. In case you do not want to go through demo games for free, you can win real money online instantly, as most of the games are available through the instant browser flash players.
AU Players are Real Casino Enthusiasts
The Australian gambling market is highly vibrant. The development of online casinos has increased the popularity of pokies and other casino games. Perceived as convenient, internet-based casino security is guaranteed as regulatory authorities keep them under constant lookout to ensure compliance.
With an internet penetration rate of 88%, Australia equally enjoys one of the highest internet connection rates, no wonder the unmatched popularity of online gaming. In 2017, 50.1% of the Australians (9.5 million) engaged in gambling. The year 2018 showed a small decline despite high numbers at 9.3 million (47.9%). From 2020 to 2024/25, the Australian online gambling market is expected to follow the global trajectory trend with experts estimating that by 2027 revenues generated from online gambling-related activities will hit $127.3 billion.
Further contributing to the Australian market’s growth are highly experienced designers like Aristocrat, IGT, and Playtech, which have specialized in producing exciting 3D games with outstanding features that identify with modern gamers.
How much do Aussies spend?
The ever-busy Australian gambling platforms indicate that the average gambling expenditures are relatively high, for instance, in July 2020. Tasmania, with a population of 520,000, expended an incredible $19million on pokies per capita, translating into $612,000 per day. Compared to February’s data, there was a significant increase of more than $5 million. Pokies for real money were highly credited for this considerable increase.
Likewise, in July 2020, South Australia residents spent $73 million on gambling, which was a huge jump from the 2019’s figures ($62 million). In the NSW region, gamblers lost more than $571 million in June 2020, which increased from the previous year’s losses of $530 million.
Shifting from Landbased to Online Real Money Casinos
The Australian market has witnessed big and revolutionary trends. The biggest of these trends has been the transformation from land-based to online slots platforms. Started in the mid-1990s, the journey to virtual casinos is laden with many positives. Offering you the chance to play free slot machines in demo mode, online casinos come with other innumerable benefits as follows;
- Online casinos come with the widest range of game collections as there are no physical pokie machines to take up space.
- The high level of competition witnessed in the online gambling circles has led to the roll-out of equally competitive bonus offers. Many casinos try to attract players to their sites.
- Online casinos are more convenient as players do not have to travel for longer physical distances, as are land-based casinos.
- Online casinos have different ways to access your games through instant browser flash players or downloadable applications. Either way, mobile gaming while on the go has been simplified by online casinos.
- Online casinos are more stimulating and provide a comparably, exciting user experience. Operators ensure 3D features and well-lit backdrops plus animations and live features that mimic real lavish Las Vegas casinos.
- Online casinos provide relatively better RTPs across games in a bid to rope in more players.
This new-found convenience and the availability of instant online payment methods have contributed to gambling in Australia. Many players now enjoy gaming rounds while in the comfort of their homes. The idea of playing favorite games on smartphones has been credited for encouraging more young players, including females, to participate in casino gaming.
Real Money Responsible Gambling
The promotion of responsible gambling has been part of the gaming industry for a long time. It is meant to cushion players from excessive gambling, which is detrimental to social and financial considerations.
To Australians, the enactment of the Interactive Gambling Act in 2001 was the right step towards promoting responsible gambling. The setting up of various state regulatory authorities has insulated Australian gamblers from the unscrupulous foreign-based, and local casinos, which may be tempted to use misleading and false bonus offers in a bid to draw traffic and possibly get away with your cash.
There are many self-control limits through which responsible gambling is promoted.
- Self-imposed deposit limits. If your age is verified in your registered casino process, you are free to deposit and play the different betting ranges at your will. However, suppose you find yourself betting outside your budget or depositing too often. In that case, you have the chance to activate the self-imposed deposit limits or the self-exclusion facilities as otherwise known. These facilities will allow you to set your deposit limits, which casinos are bound to adhere to.
- Loss Limits. This is made possible through a high-tech casino software. Whenever you are about to reach your weekly loss limit, a pop-up will automatically show up on your interface to indicate your closeness to the limit, and the gaming session will automatically be terminated.
- Session Limits. Specific pop-ups keep on appearing on your interface to remind you of playing sessions’ length constantly. They then give you the option of logging out of the casino or continue playing as you wish. It is perceived as a gentle reminder of the time taken by your playing sessions.
Australia is one of the most progressive regions as far as online gaming, and general gambling practices are concerned. It enjoys one of the most diverse markets with numerous designers supplying games while operators run legit sites with incredible offers. To ensure ultimate safety, authorities have developed various laws and state authorities that keenly look into the games and the overall compliance to avert any possible fraud or gaming inconvenience.