Power is one of the must-have elements in business operations. It is essential to keep the machines and office equipment running and functional. However, energy can be a significant expense, minimizing business profitability. And that’s where power optimization comes in.
Power optimization is the use of automation tools to reduce power consumption and wastage. It aims to save energy costs while preserving the quality and functionality of your business. So don’t allow energy to be the downfall of your business. Instead, apply practical power optimization tips to guarantee effectiveness and consistent business growth.
Here are the power optimization tips for your business.
- Here are the power optimization tips for your business.
- 1. Conduct an Energy Audit
- Benefits of conducting an Energy audit
- 2. Control Your Heating and Cooling
- 3. Use energy-saving features
- 4. Install waste heat recovery system
- 5. Turn off unused equipment
- 6. Make the most of natural light
- 7. Use a power strip
- 8. Use energy-efficient products
- 9. Check for air compressor leaks
1. Conduct an Energy Audit
Energy auditing is one of the effective power optimization tips for businesses. It is an inspection survey that involves assessing the needs and efficiency of your business. Also, it might include a process to reduce energy input without affecting the company’s output.
An energy audit involves three levels of evaluations, i.e.:
- Level 1: Walkthrough assessment: It involves interviewing employees, reviewing utility bills, and a walkthrough of the building. It focuses on energy inefficiency and low-cost solutions, aiming to establish a baseline measurement for improvements.
- Level 2: Energy survey and analysis: It involves collecting data and preparing detailed reports. It seeks to know about your business operation, identify problems, and outline the financial and non-financial objectives.
- Level 3: Detailed Analysis: The process requires more data and helps to justify large capital expenditures. It is ideal if you have done essential audits and need assistance approaching larger capital projects.
You can get professional energy auditors that offer power optimization services, such as HKT Enterprise Solutions. The experts will conduct the audit effectively, which has many benefits.
Benefits of conducting an Energy audit
The top benefits include:
- To save energy:Saving energy is among the top reasons for energy auditing. It helps you identify energy inefficiencies and take advantage of new technologies and developments in your business.
- To save money: Energy savings will bring about significant cost savings. Your business will find ways to reduce power usage and bills. Also, you’ll incur fewer maintenance and operations costs. The repairs will reduce ongoing and regular maintenance required on the equipment while increasing the overall performance.
- Improve business image:Consumers are more conscious and will identify a business that matches their values. An energy audit will help you avoid environmental pollution and other clients’ concerns. The customers will notice the improvements and will have a positive image.
2. Control Your Heating and Cooling
Reducing the heating temperatures in the winter can save you power. You can open the curtains on a sunny day and turn off the heater on warm days. Ensure your business is well insulated and fix drafty windows. Close the doors and windows when heating or cooling to optimize power usage.
Additionally, update all your heating and cooling systems. If the air conditioner is not working optimally, it will use unnecessary power, increasing your bill. So, replace it after its useful life for practical power usage.
3. Use energy-saving features
Most business equipment uses a lot of power. Though essential, they can increase your bills significantly. You can avoid that by using machines that have power-saving features. The tools will perform their tasks effectively while using less power.
Also, ensure your business equipment is well maintained. Do regular cleaning and repairs if the machines have issues. Such tools will function effectively and utilize power optimally without wastage.
4. Install waste heat recovery system
If your business cannot reduce waste heat, you can recycle it. You’ll need to install a waste recovery system to store the heat and reuse it for other operations. The method is an excellent power optimization tip that also helps to reduce pollution.
5. Turn off unused equipment
Turning off unused machines is a great power optimization strategy. If you leave the tools on, it will lead to power wastage and financial expenses. So, ensure the equipment is set on automatic sleep mode or manually turned off when not in use.
6. Make the most of natural light
You’ll need light to perform most operations in your business. That’s why light is one of a business’s most power-consuming aspects. You can avoid this by making use of natural light. Natural light improves productivity, regulates mood and morale and minimizes stress and fatigue.
Utilize the sun by ensuring maximum penetration in your premises. Install lighting occupancy sensors that regulate light usage without reminding the employees to switch off the lights.
Further, you can use roofing solutions that reflect the sun’s rays or paint it with heat-reflective paint. The materials will reduce the heat absorbed during summer, putting less pressure on cooling devices.
7. Use a power strip
The equipment not in use will continue to draw power if they are plugged in. investing in a power strip will help you switch them off when they are not in use. If you have laptops, ensure the power strip is off, as the AC adaptor will continue to draw in power unless you unplug it.
Alternatively, you use hibernation features on your devices. Put the computers in sleep or hibernation mode to reduce power wastage during brief moments of inactivity.
8. Use energy-efficient products
Traditional energy products produce a lot of waste heat. You can observe it by simply holding them in your hands. It will feel warm due to the massive emitting of electricity heat.
You can avoid it using energy-efficient products like LED for ideal power optimization. The items use light and energy more efficiently as they are the directional light source. So, if your business is fitted with traditional features, convert or retrofit to modern items to provide power efficiency and save on cost.
9. Check for air compressor leaks
An air compressor is essential in a business. Improperly maintained air compressors cause a lot of energy waste in companies.
You’ll need an effective method of pinpointing leaks in the air compressor. You can install tools to detect air and vacuum leaks and conduct regular repairs.
Most businesses need help with recurrent and high energy bills. The expenses reduce profitability and functionality and hinder business growth. Fortunately, you can avoid it by using power optimization applications. And while applying the technique, remember to use the above tips.