Would you believe that 78 percent of iPhone owners surveyed said that they wouldn’t consider buying a different brand of smartphone? OMG, that’s blind loyalty! Apple IS a cult. Wake up shee-ple!
SIM Only Contracts, a UK SIM card reseller, conducted a survey of 2,000 iPhone owners and then spat a bunch of bullet points:
• Three fifths said they would always switch to Apple’s latest iPhone
• 78 percent said they “couldn’t imagine having a different type of phone now”
• 52 percent said that they were “really impressed” with the iPhone.
• 54 percent of respondents said they had previously owned an earlier version of the iPhone
• 37 percent said they purchased a second iPhone because they were used to iOS
• 28 percent said iPhone was the best phone for them
• 25 percent said friends, family and Apple-specific features, like Facetime, swayed them
“It’s really interesting to discover this blind loyalty amongst iPhone users – they’ll no longer consider other mobile phones on the market, purely because they trust Apple and perhaps like being associated with the brand,” said Roshan Bholah, founder of SIM Only Contracts.
“Really interesting” in the sense that only Apple make and sell iPhones and iPads, while dozens of companies make and/or sell Android devices? No.
Stated as a naked “fact,” that 78 percent of iPhone owners wouldn’t consider another smartphone brand seems telling. However, without a corresponding survey of Android et al users, it’s not interesting — it’s just link bait.
Blind Faith: Which Herd?
Fundamentally, although there are many brands, there are three, maybe four smartphone ecosystems — iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and, we really hope, Blackberry.
Another factor to consider is overall market share. For example, it is widely reported that around 80 percent of all smartphones sold worldwide run Android. If true, then who are the real sheep? Not iPhone users?
And, lastly, think about the questions SIM Only asked to get those results (Hey, Mr Bholah — Do you still beat your wife and children, yes or no — troll much?).
Seriously, just use the iPhone, Android, Windows Phone or Blackberry device that makes you happy. A little faith, blind or informed, is a lot less stressful…
What’s your take?