Quoting relatives of the deceased, China’s Xin Hua News Agency reports that a 23-year-old woman, Ma Ailun, was electrocuted while using her iPhone, which was charging at the time.
“(I) hope that Apple Inc. can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging,” her elder sister wrote on Sina Weibo, China’s equivalent of Twitter.
Police have confirmed that the younger Miss Ma, who recently quit her job as a stewardess at China Southern Airlines, was indeed electrocuted. Officials, however, haven’t said whether or not an iPhone was involved or, for that matter, any other circumstances of her passing.
For its part, Apple has issued a statement saying the company feels “deeply sorry for the unfortunate incident” and that it will cooperate fully with the investigation.
Regardless of the circumstances, Ma Ailun’s death is tragic. Nevertheless, of all the problems in the world, this is one of the rarified few that will hold our attention for a few days…
What’s your take?