As if all the issues with the iPhone 5 weren’t enough, Apple’s about to get some new headaches thanks to their latest smartphone.
Samsung has made good on their threats to include the iPhone 5 on their own patent claims against Apple. the new complaints involving the device are amendments to the existing Samsung lawsuit. CNET reports:
The Korean electronics giant submitted an amendment to a lawsuit originally filed in April against Apple, adding the iPhone 5 to a list of devices that includes the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad that Samsung accuses of infringing on several Samsung patents.
Samsung reportedly threatened to sue Apple last month for patent infringement over its then rumored use of long-term evolution (LTE) connectivity in the next-generation smartphone. While the new iPhone’s debut last month confirmed that Apple’s new device featured access to the the speedier fourth-generation wireless networking — for which Samsung holds numerous patents — Samsung’s latest lawsuit did not address the LTE patents.
A lot of people speculated that the iPhone 5 would be sued over the inclusion of LTE so it’s really surprising that Samsung is going after it on different grounds. Android Central has compiled a list of the complaints. You can check them out below:
- Method and apparatus for performing non-scheduled transmission in a mobile communication system for supporting an enhanced uplink data channel
- Method and apparatus for signaling control information of uplink packet data service in mobile communication system
- Audio/video device having a volume control function for an external audio reproduction unit by using volume control buttons of a remote controller and volume control method therefor
- Multimedia synchronisation method and device
- Data displaying apparatus and method
- Software keyboard system using trace of stylus on a touch screen and method for recognising key code using the same
- Apparatus for recording and reproducing digital image and speech
- Remote video transmission system
Will Samsung be able to get back at Apple through the iPhone 5? Share your opinions in the comments below!